Please join the LAFMS in a special free concert with AIRWAY, Extended Organ and a duo of John Wiese and Ted Byrnes. The concert celebrates the opening of the L.A. Art Book Fair, and is presented by East of Borneo and The Box. The concert, as well as the fair, is free and all ages.
7pm: Extended Organ
6pm: John Wiese + Ted Byrnes
Presented by East of Borneo and The Box on the KChung Radio Outdoor Stage
AIRWAY is a noise orchestra created by Joe Potts in 1977 originally to explore the phenomena of subliminal messaging via noise. For this concert AIRWAY’s performance will feature some of Japan’s best noise musicians specially recorded for this performance.
LAFMS Japan organizer Takuya Sakaguchi recruited three teams of three musicians and invited each group to contribute a separate 20 minute mix that will then be layered into the sound field by Joe Potts. Sakaguchi calls the group "Team Airway Japan".
“Team Airway Japan” performers (in alphabetical order):
- Takayuki Hashimoto – saxophone, guitar and other instrument player in .es (“dot es”)
- Jojo Hiroshige – guitar player of Hijokaidan, Jazz Hijokaidan, Hatsune Kaidan, Bis Kaidan as well as solo singer
- Kazuya Ishigami – electronic composer, “rubbish, trash and poor” music creator, active as Daruin and collaborator with The Rodney Forest
- Katsuyoshi Kou – electronic improviser of Soundings and main organizer of “Multiple Tap” at Café Oto (London) in February 2014
- Toshiji Mikawa – “The Mikawa” player of Incapacitants, Hijokaidan, Jazz Hijokaidan, Hatsune Kaidan, Bis Kaidan and Soundings
- Masahiko Ohno – mutant guitar player of Solmania and Destroy Ohno Monsters
- Atsushi Reizen – guitar player and the second Japanese musician who has released an album on Fylkingen Sweden (the first is Yuji Takahashi)
- Takuya Sakaguchi – organizer of the group and LAFMS supporter for 35 years in Japan
- Shizuo Uchida – bass player of Hasegawa Shizuo, Kito Mizukumi Rouber and Le Son De L’os and member of Keiji Haino’s Nijiumu
Extended Organ is Tom Recchion, Joe Potts, Fredrik Nilsen, and Paul McCarthy with Alex Stevens. Mike Kelley was a longtime member of the group and continues to be a contributing member by virtue of the sound recordings he provided to the group before his death: “in case I can't make a gig, I can still play.”
Extended Organ last performed in November 2013 in Detroit at MOCAD. A video clip of their performance can be found here.
John Wiese and Ted Byrnes are two of LA’s finest improvising musicians and artists and will be featured as a rare duo for this performance.
Printed Matter’s LA Art Book Fair 2014
The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA
152 North Central Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/782812285077905/